Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Doughnuts Are Evil--Try These Recipes Instead!

They are.  This has been confirmed by multiple sources.  (All of them are friends of mine who are trying to encourage as I try to maintain my primal diet.)  I'm choosing to leave bakers, pastry chefs and the rest of the general public out of my polling group.  It's bad science, I know, but I need that right now.  There are doughnuts sitting outside of my cubicle as I write this.  And they're evil doughnuts. 

Temptation is everywhere, but the longer I choose to eat primal, the easier it becomes.  All of the recipes I have made have been delicious, and when I do cheat, I physically feel terrible the next day.  Usually, I am sleepier, hungrier and a little grumpy the day after I cheat.  That alone helps me with the cravings for carbs (have I mentioned the doughnuts yet?).  I'd like to share some of the recipes I have made.  I highly recommend that you try them, even if you're not eating primal.  They're amazing!  If you do make them, please leave a comment and let me know if you liked them as much as I did.  Even better, comment on the original site I link to tell the creators of these wonderful meals how much you enjoyed them.  I know I have a few vegetarian readers, so if you find that you can alter the recipes to suit those needs, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well.  Comments are fun :)

Chicken and Vegetable "Lo Mein" from The Food Lover's Primal Palate

I added red peppers,  used an exotic mushroom medley and, since I have no idea what coconut aminos are, I just added a little coconut oil to the sesame oil for cooking.  I also made a sauce from lemon juice, lime juice, sesame oil, garlic, stone ground mustard, salt, pepper and a little honey.  The result was fantastic!

Crock Pot Pork-Stuffed Peppers from Mark's Daily Apple

These tasted wonderful, and were so easy.  The one thing I will point out is that the peppers were very soft by the time they were done cooking, so they fell apart.  The result was more of a goulash than a traditional stuffed peppers dish.  Next time, I think I will precook the meat mixture in a large frying pan, stuff the raw pepper, and bake them to heat the peppers through.

Garlic Pulled Pork from Mark's Daily Apple

Surprise, surprise, I altered this one a bit as well.  I cut up an onion and put it in the bottom of the crock pot, topped it with the seasoned pork roast, some minced garlic, and then cut up a few leeks and put those on top as well.  I cooked it all day on low heat.  It took a good 10 hours, but was so worth the time.

Pork Tenderloin with Cilantro Pesto from Mark's Daily Apple

I loved this recipe.  It was one of the first ones I made, and I was so impressed!

Paleo Butternut Squash Lasagna from Health-Bent

I have made this twice in as many weeks.  Super simple and delicious.  Don't be afraid of the squash, even if you're not a squash lover.  It is perfect in this recipe.  Also, I used locally raised/processed italian pork sausage--amazing!!!

Check out The Foodee Blog for more amazing recipes.

Try them all!  Let me know what you think :)  I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. 

Until next time, Check Your Neck.

3 comments:

  1. Apparently, coconut aminos is "a delicious soy-free sauce, containing 17 amino acids, is dark, rich, and salty. I am amazed at its resemblance to soy sauce. It is made simply from raw coconut tree sap and sun-dried sea salt, naturally aged of course." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's a detox period in which your body goes through serious sugar/HFCS withdrawal when you are switching to a healthier diet. I felt the same way when I switched to a migraine-friendly vegetarian diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely, Michelle. I've seen it referred to as "carb flu" in the primal/paleo literature.

    ReplyDelete